Thursday, August 6, 2020

COVID-19 Shift Decontamination Routine

While the primary form of transmission of the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, is through respiratory droplets, there remains the possibility of transmission via fomites, particularly the clothing and gear we wear in the emergency department.
Whether a stringent decontamination routine adds much on top of diligent handwashing, mask-wearing, and personal protective equipment (PPE) is unknown. Below is my personal routine
The 3 basic principles I abide by are:
  • Keep clean things clean 
    • Have a 'hot' station at desk for ECGs that need to be signed, pen, phone
  • Have a system that's sustainable (mine is above)
    • I use a bag and bin system - have a clean bag and dirty bag (bought cheap washable bags and use shopping bags and clean and dirty bins in my car.

  • Don't cross-contaminate
    • Ways I prevent cross-contamination - the phone is a key example. I place it in a plastic bag on arrival (pictured below), I sanitize hands after touching, place it on the 'hot' part of my work station, wipe down after removing from bag and place in clean bag to go home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment